Password

Thursday, July 3, 2014

Camel Meat, Camel Rides, and the Fourth of July.

"Christ is the visible image of the invisible God.
    He existed before anything was created and is supreme over all creation,
16 for through him God created everything
    in the heavenly realms and on earth.
He made the things we can see
    and the things we can’t see—
such as thrones, kingdoms, rulers, and authorities in the unseen world.
    Everything was created through him and for him.
17 He existed before anything else,
    and he holds all creation together.
18 Christ is also the head of the church,
    which is his body.
He is the beginning,
    supreme over all who rise from the dead.
    So he is first in everything.
19 For God in all his fullness
    was pleased to live in Christ,
20 and through him God reconciled
    everything to himself.
He made peace with everything in heaven and on earth
    by means of Christ’s blood on the cross."
- Colossians 1:15-20 

I'm thankful I serve a God that is described in the above passage. Most people in South Asia can not say that. They believe that there are many gods, or a god who did not live in Christ. I've had the opportunity to share with many people who believe in Hinduism or Islam. Me and my teammate Megan shared with 5 girls today! Two of which are Muslim and the other three are Hindu. The two Muslim girls believe that their god will judge their good deeds from their bad deeds, and if you they have more good than bad then they will go to heaven. The three Hindu girls believe that they should worship many gods because all gods deserve to be worshiped and that the ultimate god will judge them when their life is over and if they have more good deeds than bad then they also will go to heaven. We were able to share with all of them and told them what we believe and why. The conversations went really well. We talked with the two Muslim girls for over an hour and the three Hindu girls for about 30 minuets. We're also meeting two of the Hindu girls tomorrow night to go to a temple with them, so please be in prayer about that.

I'm coming to realize through more and more people that I meet that there is no cookie cutter way of believing the religions of Islam or Hinduism. I studied both religions before I left America and no one I've met believes the exact way that I thought they believed. Not all Hindus believe in reincarnation, and not all Muslims believe that Jesus did not die on the cross. It's been really interesting to hear different point of views then I originally thought, and I'm thankful that my knowledge to different religions have been expanded. 

Some of you may have seen the picture I posted of the camel meat last night on Facebook. Yes, I did eat camel and yes it was pretty good except that it was really spicy. Last night my team and I went to an area of the city that is predominantly Muslim. If you have any knowledge of the religion of Islam then you'll know about Ramadan, If not I'll feel you in. Ramadan is the Muslim month of fasting, it is the month in which the Quran was revealed, and it is one of the five pillars of Islam. Muslims fast from dawn until sunset; they refrain from consuming food and drinking liquids, some even go to the extreme of not swallowing their own saliva,  which results to a lot of spit on the sidewalks (gross isn't it?). At night they have a big feast as they break fast, and in the part of town my team and I went to they have a Ramadan festival. Huge tents line the streets filled with all types of food, except for pork ;), and that is where we had dinner last night. Let me just say it was definitely different. SO many people, and SO many beggars. I've not seen that many beggars all at one time since the capital city of this country. 

Another exciting thing I was able to experience this week was going to a village for church. Man, what an amazing experience!! Those people have literally nothing, but yet they are worshiping Jesus so passionately! My team and I were considered "special guests". We sat in chairs while everyone else sat on the floor, and they gave us all necklaces made of real flowers. I was able to share my story with all of them, which was a memory I'll carious forever. I was so encouraged that day, and I'm excited to know that I will see them again in heaven!

The next few days are going to be very busy but also so much fun! Tomorrow everyone here with the company is having a big 4th of July party. We're going to have barbeque chicken and pork and just celebrate being an American, it's going to be GREAT! My team and I are all wearing red, white, and blue, and I even found an American flag scarf today that I'm going to wear as well. Who would have thought I'd find something like that here?! Saturday we're going to spend the day in a town that is a few hours away by train. The plan is to ride elephants, camels, go to a big South Asian market, and see a palace. I'll be posting lots of pictures, so keep your eye out for them! :)

My time here in South Asia has been challenging at times but overall it's been an amazing experience, and one that I do not regret making. My team and I have shared the go_pel over 50 times, got to love on children who literally have nothing, and have learned so much about South Asian culture. It's crazy to think that I've got less than 3 weeks left!

***Prayer requests***
  • A company women here runs a house for outcast people ( I've mentioned going to her house in my blog) well, she has a Hindu neighbor who is a government worker and a Brahmin who is asking a lot of questions and thinks they are converting people. She has threatened to take it to the government and have the place shut down and the company woman and her husband kicked out of the country, since the laws have changed due to the new prim minister. Please pray that God will soften the lady's heart and that she will not take this issue to the government.
  • Several of my teammates have been sick with stomach issues, and sinus problems so please left them up to the Lord that they will be back to 100% soon. 
  • Pray for the people I've encountered and shared with. Pray that a seed was planted and that they will have a desire to know more about Jesus. 
  • There is a Muslim women here who I've become very good friends with. She has made several outfits for me and I've gone to her house multiple times. She is also friends with many company members and she has heard the truth numerous times. She knows the truth, but does not believe it. Please pray that God will work in her heart and that her eyes will be opened to the fact that she can not get to heaven apart from Jesus. 
  • A fellow student m whom I met at filed training was serving in another part of the country this summer got word last week that his father was killed in a tragic auto accident last Tuesday. He flew back to America last week to bury his father and be with his family. He was also uncertain of his father's relationship with the Lord. Please lift him and his family up in your prayers, I can not begin to imagine what he is going through. 

I just want to say thank you from the bottom of my heart for taking an interest in knowing what the Lord is doing in and through me as I serve Him in South Asia. I'm blessed to have godly people in my life who pray for my daily. I definitely can feel your prayers and I don't think I would have made it through some days without them. 

Oh, and Happy Independence Day!!!! 

In His love,
 Heather

No comments :

Post a Comment