Life in South Asia is different. VERY different from America. The power goes out at least once a day and sometimes it stays out for hours, and I do mean hours at a time. When the power is out the water does not work because it runs on a pump, which is always fun... Not. Men here pee in public places all the time, I mean I cannot ride in a auto for 20 minutes without seeing at least 10 men peeing on the side of the road. Your senses are in overload. You smell weird things, hear weird things, and see weird things all at the same time. Cows stand in the middle of the street, goats eat the garbage on the side of the street, and hundreds of dogs lay lifeless on the sidewalks. You can not go outside your flat without beggars approaching you asking for money. Some are old, some are young, some are men, some are women, some are a mixture of both, some are crippled, and some are blind.
You know in the Old Testament where it talks about idol worship? Yeah, that's real life here in South Asia. People go into temples and worship things made with human hands. They ring bells to wake them up, (side note, who wants to serve a god you have to wake up, not me!), they bring them food to eat... yes like real food, they kiss their stone feet, and lay face down on the floor and pray to a god that they created in hopes that the god would do something for them. Sad isn't it?
Most of the Christi@ns here are Catholic, which is basically syncretism. I visited a Catholic church called Saint Mary's the other day and people were lighting candles to pray to Mother Mary. They were kissing the feet of a stone image of what they think JC looks like, and they would throw money on a statue of JC after he died on the cross. Satan has twisted the truth into a lie there, and nothing about that place resembles the God I know and worship.
I knew going into this that is was going to be rough, I just didn't realize how rough it was going to be. I mean this is literally the hardest thing I've ever done. Looking back now I wounder if God looked down on me and said "You just wait and see. I'm going to show you just how much you've got it made in America." when I told him yes I'll go and serve you in South Asia. He's really stretching me, which is a good thing I suppose. I'm learning that His ways are not my ways more and more. It's easy to look around here and ask yourself, "Where is my God, the God of mercy, grace, and peace?" because if you don't intentionally look, you'll miss Him. He is here though, and He's working. It's my job to find where He is working and be there. One thing He's showed me since being here is that He always gives me opportunities to share, it's just whether or not I see those opportunities and take those opportunities.
One opportunity that I saw and took this week was sharing through soularium with 2 girls. One is 21 and the other is 24. I walked up to them and said "Hey, we're here doing a cultural exchange and wanted to know if you'll take a survey with some pictures we have?" They both agreed and I was able to share the full go_pel with them. They are differently persons of peace like Luke 10 mentions. Both are Hindu, but they also go to Saint Mary's church to worship because they love Jesus. I'm said to say that their idea of Jesus and my idea of Jesus are two very different things. We talked with them for 4 hours and are even going to their house on Wednesday. Please pray for them. Pray that their eyes will be opened to the truth of who God really is, and that they will stop worshiping their other gods and the twisted idea of who they think JC is. Pray that they will grow in heart knowledge and head knowledge of the word, and that they will be a light in their community. Also pray that my partner and I will be able to continue a friendship with them, and have boldness to share.
South Asia is very spiritual but it's the wrong kind of spiritual, and if you're not worshiping Je_us you're worshiping his enemy. It's encouraging to know that God is bringing people to himself and people are worshiping Him here, and in the right way. The work is not over. There is much more to be done, and He's allowing me to be used as a tool to bring them to himself. What an honor!!! When times get rough (which is often), and I want to go back home (which is also often), I remind myself of that. It's worth it. He choose me to go... and I'm here, and I'm here for a reason. So even amongst all the frustrations and disappointments I still have Joy, cauz Praise the Lord ain't nobody takin' that from me!!!
In Him,
Heather
You know in the Old Testament where it talks about idol worship? Yeah, that's real life here in South Asia. People go into temples and worship things made with human hands. They ring bells to wake them up, (side note, who wants to serve a god you have to wake up, not me!), they bring them food to eat... yes like real food, they kiss their stone feet, and lay face down on the floor and pray to a god that they created in hopes that the god would do something for them. Sad isn't it?
Most of the Christi@ns here are Catholic, which is basically syncretism. I visited a Catholic church called Saint Mary's the other day and people were lighting candles to pray to Mother Mary. They were kissing the feet of a stone image of what they think JC looks like, and they would throw money on a statue of JC after he died on the cross. Satan has twisted the truth into a lie there, and nothing about that place resembles the God I know and worship.
I knew going into this that is was going to be rough, I just didn't realize how rough it was going to be. I mean this is literally the hardest thing I've ever done. Looking back now I wounder if God looked down on me and said "You just wait and see. I'm going to show you just how much you've got it made in America." when I told him yes I'll go and serve you in South Asia. He's really stretching me, which is a good thing I suppose. I'm learning that His ways are not my ways more and more. It's easy to look around here and ask yourself, "Where is my God, the God of mercy, grace, and peace?" because if you don't intentionally look, you'll miss Him. He is here though, and He's working. It's my job to find where He is working and be there. One thing He's showed me since being here is that He always gives me opportunities to share, it's just whether or not I see those opportunities and take those opportunities.
One opportunity that I saw and took this week was sharing through soularium with 2 girls. One is 21 and the other is 24. I walked up to them and said "Hey, we're here doing a cultural exchange and wanted to know if you'll take a survey with some pictures we have?" They both agreed and I was able to share the full go_pel with them. They are differently persons of peace like Luke 10 mentions. Both are Hindu, but they also go to Saint Mary's church to worship because they love Jesus. I'm said to say that their idea of Jesus and my idea of Jesus are two very different things. We talked with them for 4 hours and are even going to their house on Wednesday. Please pray for them. Pray that their eyes will be opened to the truth of who God really is, and that they will stop worshiping their other gods and the twisted idea of who they think JC is. Pray that they will grow in heart knowledge and head knowledge of the word, and that they will be a light in their community. Also pray that my partner and I will be able to continue a friendship with them, and have boldness to share.
South Asia is very spiritual but it's the wrong kind of spiritual, and if you're not worshiping Je_us you're worshiping his enemy. It's encouraging to know that God is bringing people to himself and people are worshiping Him here, and in the right way. The work is not over. There is much more to be done, and He's allowing me to be used as a tool to bring them to himself. What an honor!!! When times get rough (which is often), and I want to go back home (which is also often), I remind myself of that. It's worth it. He choose me to go... and I'm here, and I'm here for a reason. So even amongst all the frustrations and disappointments I still have Joy, cauz Praise the Lord ain't nobody takin' that from me!!!
"You oh God are my shepherd. Lead me and I will follow. You are my strength and my shield; in you my heart trusts, and I am helped. My heart will forever exult you. You are my song and in you I will give thanks."
Psalm 28 & John 10:1-21 (paraphrased)
Heather
No comments :
Post a Comment